I like linkchecker but the link below is a page that lists linkchecker,
linklint, and a couple of other link checking programs.

http://linkchecker.sourceforge.net/other.html

Thomas

On Monday 04 April 2011 18:10:47 you wrote:
> Can someone point me in the direction of a good, robust broken link scanner
>  other than Xenu, which is not quite powerful or adaptable enough for my
>  needs.  We are trying to get more serious about our content strategy in my
>  library and linking in various parts of our site is abysmal.  Here's my
>  dream app...
>
> Web app that collects from a non-technical library staff user a base url
>  path under which to crawl and scan links.  User creates the object which
>  includes a descriptive title, their email address, and some hidden
>  metadata, such as current creation date.  The app crawls the links of said
>  URL and any children, ignoring other site urls not under the given path,
>  returns a report (web, pdf, csv, whatever) of page title/pageurl/broken
>  link text/broken link url/error code.  Further, the app is hooked into
>  cron and runs a new report based off of the existing criteria every X
>  days.  On X day, user gets an email with updated report.  At login, user
>  has a table sort view of all of their objects and each object keeps a
>  record of reports.  Stats on how many links per section, and frequency of
>  broken-ness (tracked over time) would be nice but not deal killer.   From
>  the admin side of things we would need to be able to configure global
>  error codes to include/exclude, internal urls to exclude, timeout lengths,
>  depths, and websites to treat specially since they may not play well with
>  the crawler, proxy, whatever.  Finally, these plus other settings might be
>  nice to override at a local object level admin-wise as well (i.e set a
>  shorter or longer day cycle, set a maximum depth to crawl, etc).
>
> It seems like something of this sort should exist, but I'm not finding
>  exactly what I want.  The closest right now is link tiger, but I don't
>  want to set librarians loose on the whole site, just their targeted areas.
>
> Thoughts?

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett           Appalachian State University
Operations & Systems Analyst            P O Box 32026
University Library                                Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

Library Systems Help Desk: https://www.library.appstate.edu/help/