Just as a historical note, this non-standard use of LDR/22 is likely due to OCLC's use of the character as a hexadecimal flag from back in the days when marc records were mostly schlepped around on tapes.  They referred to it as the "Transaction type code".  When records were sent to oclc for processing, various values of the flag indicated whether a catalog card was to be produced, whether the record was an update, whether the user location symbol was to be set, etc.  I'm sure others have used it for their own nefarious purposes as well.

Tim Prettyman
University of Michigan/LIT

On Apr 6, 2011, at 12:28 PM, Ford, Kevin wrote:

> Well, this brings us right up against the issue of files that adhere to their specifications versus forgiving applications.  Think of browsers and HTML.  Suffice it to say, MARC applications are quite likely to be forgiving of leader positions 20-23.  In my non-conforming MARC file and in Bill's, the leader positions 20-21 ("45") seemed constant, but things could fall apart for positions 22-23.  So...
>
> I present the following (in-line and attached, to preserve tabs) in an attempt to straddle the two sides of this issue: applications forgiving of non-conforming files.  Should the two characters following 45 (at position 20) *not* be 00, then the identification will be noted as "non-conforming."  We could classify this as reasonable identification but hardly ironclad (indeed, simply checking to confirm that part of the first 24 positions match the specification hardly constitutes a robust identification, but it's something).
>
> It will also give you a mimetype too, now.
>
> Would any like testing it out more fully on their own files?
>

> #--------------------------------------------
> # MARC 21 Magic  (Third cut)
>
> # Set at position 0
> 0 	byte	x
>
> # leader position 20-21 must be 45
>> 20	string	45
>
> # leader starts with 5 digits, followed by codes specific to MARC format
>>> 0	regex/1	(^[0-9]{5})[acdnp][^bhlnqsu-z]	MARC Bibliographic
> !:mime	application/marc
>>> 0	regex/1	(^[0-9]{5})[acdnosx][z]	MARC Authority
> !:mime	application/marc
>>> 0	regex/1	(^[0-9]{5})[cdn][uvxy]	MARC Holdings
> !:mime	application/marc
>>> 0	regex/1	(^[0-9]{5})[acdn][w]	MARC Classification
> !:mime	application/marc
>>> 0	regex/1	(^[0-9]{5})[cdn][q]	MARC Community
> !:mime	application/marc
>
> # leader position 22-23, should be "00" but is it?
>>> 0	regex/1	(^.{21})([^0]{2})	(non-conforming)
> !:mime	application/marc
>

> If this works, I'll see about submitting this copy.  Thanks to all your efforts already.
>
> Warmly,
>
> Kevin
>
> --
> Library of Congress
> Network Development and MARC Standards Office

>>> bgm_openlib_final_10-15.mrc:       MARC Bibliographic
>>> bgm_openlib_final_15-18.mrc:       data