On 11 April 2011 16:40, Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> XML well-formedness and validity checks can't find badly encoded characters
> either -- char data that claims to be one encoding but is really another, or
> that has been double-encoded and now means something different than
> intended.
>
> There's really no way to catch that but heuristics.  All of the
> marc-validating and well-formedness-checking in the world wouldn't prevent
> you from this problem, if people/software don't properly keep track of their
> encodings and not put mis-encoded chars in the data.

Right.  Double-encoding, or encoding one way while telling the record
you did it another way, is a data-level pilot error -- on a par with
the kind of error when someone means to type "you're" but types
"your".  The error is not wit hthe MARC record, but with the data
that's been put INTO the MARC records.

-- Mike.