The distributed library, where all patrons are both lenders and
borrowers, is an intriguing concept, and it's great that you have a
rudimentary system up to experiment with it. Aside from the unusual
requirements of a distributed library, you have one thing which
separates you from the masses of small libraries who set up systems
for their resources: you're not using MS Access. I applaud your
decision to build a webapp, though some might call this overkill. As
long as your patrons are able to use the system, and you're having fun
with the challenge, charge on ahead.

I have a few questions and comments.

I see you're storing only the title and location of each book in the
Django database, and tying into MarcEdit for the rest of the record. I
assume you're using MarcEdit for the Z39.50 client and the editing
interface, but you might want to look into exporting the records from
MarcEdit (as MARCXML, most likely) and ingesting them into the webapp
database. Keeping the two databases in sync and communicating with
each hit, especially once the webapp is on its own server, could
become difficult. Also, you may want to allow for remote cataloging at
some point. If you're really feeling adventurous, you might look into
wrapping PyZ3950 into a cataloging app.

I agree that a collection of that size doesn't warrant a search engine
like Solr. Some icontains queries are probably enough if browsing
alone doesn't suffice.

Most circ apps don't display the history of patrons who have checked
out an item, or a patron's history of checked-out items, for privacy
reasons. Some even drop those records from the database, or anonymize
them.

Another thing that differentiates you from other small libraries
attempting this sort of thing is your contacting of this list. Most of
the readers here are used to big-data problems, where they're trying
to make sense of the storage, maintenance, and display of millions of
records, so it's a bit of work to scale the mind down to a situation
such as yours. Also, most of us spend much of our time working around
legacy systems, so the troubles of a small, young app are both foreign
and envied. That's my way of explaining why you might not get much
response here.

And for heaven's sake, point a subdomain or something at that machine.
No reason to pass around IP addresses in this day and age.