I used Hadoop a little bit in my old job and found that it was a very handy tool to have. I used it to test a change to some logic that tried to extract item quantities from titles in a very large product catalog. It's not really a classic map/reduce application, but I think it would have been much more work to run the tests if we didn't already have the data on the Hadoop file system. We also used it a bit to cluster similar items.

I've subsequently picked up the "Hadoop in Action" book and read through some of it. It seems like a pretty good introduction for people wanting to learn about Map/Reduce.

Mark

On Apr 26, 2011, at 4:18 PM, Bill Dueber wrote:

> play the guitar
> "real" statistics (not "have t-test, will travel!")
> cook a really good roast
> graph theory
> map/reduce
> Hebrew
> some machine learning (esp. wrt parsing)
>
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Ross Singer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> map/reduce
>> coffeescript, node.js, other server side javascripts
>> XSLT
>> How to not make a not-completely-hideous-looking web app.
>>
>> -Ross.
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 8:30 AM, Edward Iglesias
>> <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I am doing a presentation at RILA (Rhode Island Library Association) on
>>> changing skill sets for Systems Librarians.  I did a formal survey a
>> while
>>> back (if you participated, thank you) but this stuff changes so quickly I
>>> thought I would ask this another way.  What do you wish you had time to
>>> learn?
>>>
>>> My list includes
>>>

>>> CouchDB(NoSQL in general)
>>> neo4j