From: Ya'aqov Ziso [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 11:18
To: Code for Libraries; Houghton,Andrew
Cc: LeVan,Ralph
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] LCSH and Linked Data

Andrew, please see [YZ] below

181 __ $z England  and you would NOT find this heading in LCSH. This is issue one. Unfortunately, LC does not create 181 in LCSH (actually I think there are some, but not if it’s a name), instead they create a 781 in the name authority record.

[YZ]  MARC/LCSH distinguishes between names 100 and geographic names 151 in their authority record. You'll find all geographic names if you look for 151 records.

So to find the corresponding $z England we need to go to the name authority record 150 England with LCCN n82068148.

[YZ]  LCCN n82068148 authority record is  for 151 England.

Also Andrew, are you indicating there is a difference between the form of geographic name in 151$a and 781$z   -- ?

Currently under id.loc.gov you will not find name authority records, but you can find them at viaf.org.

[YZ]  viaf.org does not include geographic names. I just checked there England. makes little sense to mix personal/corporate names with geographic ones. Let's see what Ralph comments.

Ya'aqov