OK, as a cataloger who has been confused by the jurisdictional/place name
distinction, I'm going to jump in here.

Whether "England" means the free-floating geographic entity or the country
is not quite unknowable -- it depends on the MARC codes that accompany it.

The brief answer is this: a field used in a 651$a or a $z should match a 151
in the LC authorities.

If the MARC field is 151 or 651 (let's just say x51), then the $a should
match a 151 in the authority file.
MARC subfield z ($z) is always a geographic subdivision and should match a
151.

Here's where it gets tricky:
If the MARC field is a x10 (110, 610, 710 – corporate bodies), then the $a
should match a 110 or a 151 in the authority file. If the first indicator of
such a MARC field is a 1, then it will probably match a 151 – first
indicator "1" means that a heading is jurisdictional and may match a 151.

For  example:

110 1_ United States. ‡b Dept. of Agriculture

There is a

151 United States

in the LC authorities, but no

110 United States

yet it can be used as a corporate body name in a bib. record with a 110
field.

This is further confused by the VIAF, in which some national libraries have
established the United States as a corporate body (110).

At the risk of confusing things, I'd suggest looking at countries like the
United States, Kenya or Canada as examples. England is not a great example
because it's not a current jurisdiction name - there is a note in the LC
authority record that reads "Heading for England valid as a jurisdiction
before 1536 only. Use "(England)" as qualifier for places (23.4D) and for
nongovernment bodies (24.4C2)." It is established as a 110 because it *used
to be* a jurisdiction name and would be valid for works issued by the
government prior to 1536. Obviously this note is of no use to a machine, but
it explains why we aren't seeing it used as a jurisdiction (a corporate
body) with subordinate bodies.

I hope I'm not pointing out the obvious, but the use of names that appear in
151 fields in the authority file as 110 fields in bibliographic records
confused me for a very long time; our authorities librarian explained it to
me at least twice before the proverbial light bulb went on for me.

Karen

Karen D. Miller
Monographic/Digital Projects Cataloger
Bibliographic Services Dept.