Begin forwarded message:

From: Megan Winget <[log in to unmask]>
Date: April 29, 2011 10:30:31 AM EDT
To: [log in to unmask], IGDA Game Preservation SIG <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [digital-curation] ASIST SIG/CR Call for Panel Proposals for ASIS&T Annual Meeting 2011

(please excuse cross-posting)

Hello All:

The Classification Research Special Interest Group (SIG/CR) focuses on theoretical and practical issues surround the classification and representation of information for the purposes of organization, collection building, access, and preservation.

We are inviting proposals for panels and contributions to panels for submission to the 74th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (ASIS&T). The theme of this year's conference is "Bridgng the Gulf: Communication and Information in Society, Technology and Work," and will be held October 9-13, 2011 in New Orleans. We are interested in panels that address representation and classification issues related to any kind of material: text or non-text, multimedia, games, scientific information, data, metadata, specific implementations of metadata schemas, visualizations, authority, trust, collection building...we also welcome philosophically inclined panels as well as those that are more practical in nature.

Proposals should be formatted in accordance with the call for papers (which can be found at: http://www.asis.org/asist2011/am11cfp.html ) but sent to me (Megan Winget - [log in to unmask]) as attachments.

The deadline for panels to ASIST is May 31.

1) If you send me a fully formed panel proposal, I will submit to ASIST with support by SIG/CR. Please have these proposals to me by May 27.
2) If you send me a proposal for an individual panel contribution (but don't actually have a panel formed), I will attempt to facilitate collaboration between people with similar ideas to generate panel proposals. In order to do this and have enough time to then generate fully formed panel proposals, please have these individual paper proposals to me by May 16.

To reiterate the deadlines:

-If you have a panel idea, you've gotten your speakers lined up, and it's a done deal: May 27
-If you have an idea for a paper, but you don't have any other speakers in mind: May 16.

We must have all panel proposals to ASIS&T by May 31.

The ASIS&T call for panel proposals reads:

Proposals for panels are invited on topics that include emerging cutting-edge research and design, analyses of hot or emerging trends, opinions on controversial issues, analyses of tools and techniques, and contrasting viewpoints from experts in complementary professional areas. Panels are not a substitute for a set of contributed papers, but must have a cohesive theme and promote lively interaction between panellists and audience members. Submit two to four pages that provide an overview of the issues to be discussed by the panel. Proposals should also list panellists who have agreed to participate and indicate the qualifications and contribution that each panellist will offer. Proposals for Pecha Kucha style presentations, are encouraged.

If you have any questions whatsoever, please do not hesitate to contact me ([log in to unmask]) or Joe Tennis ([log in to unmask]) and we will be happy to help.

I'm looking forward to reading some interesting proposals!

Megan Winget
Chair, SIG/CR

Megan A. Winget, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor