...and that change could be YOU!

First thing: I'm abandoning this module; I never use it. If you want to
adopt it, lemme know. It's free!

Second thing: whomever picks it up might want to consider two major changes.

   1. For some reason, I'm only allowing two decimal places in the initial
   number (e.g, A123.456 is invalid). The comments in the code indicate
   there might have been a good reason at one point. Heck, I'm sure there was.
   I just don't remember it. And there are plenty of call numbers with three
   digits there, esp. in the QAs. And the code I actually use now doesn't
   enforce that restriction and the sky hasn't fallen, so it should probably
   go.
   2. The output format, which seemed smart at the time, is dumb.
A123expands to A
    123. Which means you have to url-escape the spaces, and muck with your
   search query so it doesn't look like two words, and that (in solr, at least)
   you can't do a wildcard query (in solr, "A  123"* isn't valid syntax).
   What I do in the java code is to use an @ sign instead, e.g. A@@123. This
   makes things easier.

The second is obviously a backwards-incompatible change which warrants some
discussion.

But none of this matters until someone steps up and adopts it. Code is at
https://library-callnumber-lc.googlecode.com/ (a move to GitHub might make
sense, too) -- step right up and take your chances!

  -Bill-
--
Bill Dueber
Library Systems Programmer