Ralph - this sounds like a very valuable process.  I would imagine it could
solve the problem illustrated here:
http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/57

What would be the best path forward?  Im not active in the wikipedia
community - but I understand that their is a community of editors.  Perhaps
lobbying them for support while clearly identifying the value for community
of scholarship would allow this to happen?

Does anyone have experience with the editorial group or policy group in the
wikipedia community?

Cheers
Andrew