There are some who argue that if it's valuable to others, then others
should pay for it (even when the improved access benefits your
institution first and foremost, and distribution of the improvements is
an arguably beneficial side effect) .  Why should one institution carry
the financial burden of improving something that benefits others beyond
that institution?  It's not an argument I agree with, but it's one I've
heard before.