As others have just said, a portfolio may or may not matter.

The polished product isn't the issue, though. It's skills, principles
and knowledge you pick up while experimenting.

Whether or not you share a spare-time project with a potential employer,
having spent a bit of time on your own learning about this stuff will
make you a stronger candidate & a better interviewee. You'll be able to
speak that much more confidently and persuasively about a broader range
of technologies, which will almost certainly help you in the job market.

-Corey

--
Corey A Harper
Metadata Services Librarian