Quoting Peter Murray <[log in to unmask]>:
Peter, I was there for a couple of the talks and thought it went well.
Obviously, practice will make ... better.

> Second, some comments I got were about cranky Java applets and
> applications.  LYRASIS has two conference tools at its disposal --
> Java-based Centra and Flash-based Acrobat Connect -- and I chose
> Centra because running Flash on LINUX is an issue.  Maybe this will
> need to be revisited (or maybe there is another Java-based
> conference system that can do better).

Having tried various packages, none is ideal. My experience this time
was that I couldn't get sound when I came in through the browser (on a
Mac), but once I got the software running things were fine.

> Third, since we were not limited by space and other timing
> constraints, can the five-minutes-per-presenter limit be relaxed?  I
> have mixed feelings about this; I think defined time limits promote
> better presentations, but the four presentations this first
> go-around went to the end of the five minute time limit and there
> was no opportunity for questions or audience interaction.

I like the precise time for the presentation, but don't really care if
it's 5 minutes or 6 or 7... It's hard to know what to do about
questions because they can cause things to drag on. Taking questions
at the end means that folks who wanted to hear a specific talk can
plan their time and drop off when they're done. But it also means
keeping the speakers around the whole time. Maybe fewer speakers if
there is to be a question period?

kc

--
Karen Coyle