Not replying for Eric but I hope he doesn't mind me butting in too..

As a newcomer to (academic) libraries from a software background, some
of the things that first struck me were;

1. The amount of money spent on non-free stuff means it has to be
emphasized over free stuff in publicity to try to get the usage to
justify the spend

2. It is hard to justify spending time on improving access to free stuff
when the end result would be good for everyone, not just the institution
doing the work (unless it can be kept in a consortium and outside-world
access limited)

3. Bizarre (to me) academic attitudes to free stuff feed through to
libraries: many academic seem to feel that wikipedia should be blocked
rather than improved, for example.

Graham