In addition to the approaches you note, might be worth investigating
this tool that came up in a thread just a few days ago on this list:

http://wikipedia-miner.sourceforge.net/

I think nobody's done enough with this yet to be sure what will work
best, I think you're going to have to experiment and let us know.

VIAF/OCLC services are presumably using some sort of statistical
analysis/text mining approaches under the hood; wikipedia-miner is using
such approaches but giving you the code in open source too if you're
curious exactly what they're doing.  I suspect statistical approaches
like wikipedia-miner uses are likely to be more productive than pure
"parsing" approaches considering only one record at a time in
isolation.   But writing your own statistics analysis algorithms is
probably more work than you want, especially when wikipedia-miner and/or
VIAF/OCLC services already exist.

If you don't do statistical analysis of the corpus, and do end up
actually trying to search wikipedia directly -- then I suspect dbpedia
is a lot more convenient endpoint than trying to screen-scrape HTML
wikipedia. That's pretty much what dbpedia is for.

But these are all just my guesses, not informed by any work I've done.

Jonathan