This sounds like a great way to "translate" from library forms to
wikipedia name forms. But for on-the-fly use I wonder if it wouldn't
be more efficient to eliminate the "middle man." Karen, can you say a
little about what it took to link library names to WP? Was it a
one-step, two-step, etc.?

There is a script that I've seen used, although it doesn't seem to be
production ready:

   https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.4/jquery.min.js

One interesting note from the OL experience of linking to WP:
generally you need to "re-reverse" the names to get a match: from
Twain, Mark to Mark Twain. But for some names that isn't the case:
Mao, Tse-Tung. Edward Betts used Wikipedia to determine which names do
not get "re-reversed".

The OL code for its wikipedia lookup is at:

https://github.com/openlibrary/openlibrary/tree/master/openlibrary/catalog/wikipedia

It, however, runs against dumps rather than an API.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net