I wonder if we aren't conflating a diverse set of issues here.

- free (no cost)
- free and online
- free = not peer reviewed
- online

As Jonathan notes, we already face problems with online materials,
even those we subscribe to. And libraries do take in free hard-copy
books in the form of donations (although weeding through those is
almost not worth the trouble). In addition, there are free materials
like government documents (at least in the US) that are considered
quite valuable.

So it seems like "free" isn't the big issue here, it's management,
selection, etc.

kc

--
Karen Coyle