 From the MARC documentation [1]:

"Field 856 is repeated when the location data elements vary (the URL in subfield
$u or subfields $a, $b, $d, when used). It is also repeated when more than one
access method is used, different portions of the item are available
electronically, mirror sites are recorded, different formats/resolutions with
different URLs are indicated, and related items are recorded."

So it looks like however the URL is handled, a single 856 field should be used
to indicate the location [2]. I am not familiar enough with MARC to say how it
"should" have been done, but it looks like $q and $u would probably be
sufficient (if they're in the same line).

However, since the field is repeatable, the parser shouldn't be choking on it,
unless it's choking on it for a sophisticated reason (e.g., "These aren't the
subfield tags I expect to be seeing"). It also looks like if $u is provided, the
first subfield should indicate access method (in this case "4" for HTTP). Maybe
that's what's causing the problem? [3]

Anyway, I think having these two parts of the same URL data on separate lines is
definitely Not Right, but I am not sure if it adds up to invalid MARC.

-dre.

[1] http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd856.html
[2] I am not a cataloger. Don't hurt me.
[3] I am not an expert on MARC ingest or on ruby-marc. I could be wrong.