Is it really true that newline characters are not allowed in a marc
value?  I thought they were, not with any special meaning, just as
ordinary data.  If they're not, that's useful to know, so I don't put
any there!

I'd ask for a reference to the standard that says this, but I suspect
it's going to be some impenetrable implication of a side effect of an
subtle adjective either way.