From a good article on this at
http://www.indexdata.com/blog/2009/10/z3950-dummies-part-4.

$ yaz-marcdump -f marc-8 -t utf-8 -o marc -l 9=97 part01.dat > part.mrc

(97 = 'a')

If I remember correctly some of this functionality has also changed
over various versions so not sure if this is still needed, but better
safe than sorry.  Might also want to check the man page with your
particular version of yaz-marcdump.

Jon G.