On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 16:24, Jon Gorman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Here's my take on whether or not the projects are going to be useful
> in job hunting.  It's a bit of a gamble and honestly they may not.  On
> the other hand, I certainly would take a portfolio as a very good sign
> of a candidate in my own hunts.  But realistically, the job market's
> just too wild at the moment.  It does seem to be smoothing out though.

First I'd echo what Gabe said -- extracurricular work can "count" in
the interview process.  Though this probably depends on the job and
the committee, I wouldn't be discouraged by it.

Were I in your shoes, I would buy new shoes because, really, have you
smelled my feet lately?  No, were I in your shoes, I'd do a quick poll
of the sorts of jobs you'd be interested in landing once you're done
with your degree, and make a list of the sorts of technologies
referenced.  Learning those wouldn't be a bad idea.  The key, though,
IMO, is not learning any particular set of technologies but
demonstrating a love for technology, a willingness to learn new
technologies and stay current and be agile, and the ability to apply
them in useful ways.

-Mike