Hi Ceci,

> I have 3 project ideas twirling around in my head at the moment...
> Do these spare-time projects get any respect from the "real world"
> when it comes time to apply for a job?

Yes they do -- at least they do at the type of place you would probably want to work.  Over the years, I've served on a lot of search committees for library techie positions, and that's something I ask about for candidates that don't already have a lot of work skills/projects documented on their resume.

And even if they didn't get respect, it still pays off in other ways: that type of project forces you to solve the types of problems that always crop up outside a classroom environment... and which are the types of problems you will encounter in a real-work environment.  And just as importantly, projects like that increase your *confidence* in yourself.  That confidence comes across in interview situations.

Heck, I *still* work on "spare-time projects" as I have the time.  They give me a chance to learn new skills that, more often than not, I then end up utilizing in my day job.  Win for me, win for my employer.

-- Michael

# Michael Doran, Systems Librarian
# University of Texas at Arlington
# 817-272-5326 office