Ceci,
When I was getting my MLS, I tried to turn every class project into a
programming exercise whether for class or outside of it. I knew that I
wanted to be doing software development, so took every opportunity I
could find. For instance while I was in cataloging class I learned how
to parse and update MARC records as well as about ISBD. When I got
towards the end of the program, I was able to negotiate to have my
internship be doing some programming working with Jonathan Rochkind
remotely on Umlaut. There may be opportunities for you to do similar
things whether or not they are for credit. If there is an open source
project that you really like, you can learn the technologies behind
it, get involved even just by writing documentation, and then see
where you can contribute code. While I was in school and throughout my
internship I was also working full-time and had a part-time job.
That's just to say that when you find the thing that you really want
to do, it becomes much easier to find the time to do it and get better
at it. I hope you're able to find that thing for you.

Jason