On a related project,  I also just pushed some major code updates to the Orbeon xforms application we use at Stanford for MODS and TEI editing.

It's at https://github.com/cfitz/orbeon-forms .
It uses the Orbeon Form Runner forms environment, which you can read about here: http://www.orbeon.com/forms/orbeon-form-runner .

If anyone has any questions/comments/ect. feel free to ping me...

best,chris.