Of
> Eric Lease Morgan
> Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:23 AM
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] linked data endpoints
>
> > What are some of the ways to best insert Linked Data endpoints into
an
> > XML file?... Given a name -- say, Plato or Thoreau -- how would one
go about
> > identifying good endpoints? What sort of query would I send to what
sort
> > of "database"? What might I get back? Assuming my goal is to enrich
the
> > text, what sort of link(s) should I insert into my XML?
>

> Thank you for the helpful replies.
>
> When and if I do this work, I think I will use DBpedia and their
lookup service. [1]
> Here's how:
>
>   * do named-entity recognition (NER) against my documents
>   * for each name, place or organization element in the resulting XML
>     o query DBpedia for URIs via their lookup service
>     o add 1 or more of the resulting URIs as attributes
>       of the name, place, or organization element
>   * end for

Just as a tease: I'm actively working on implementing the
Google/Freebase ReconciliationServiceAPI for our VIAF database.  This
will allow you to use the Google Refine service (or your own client
software) to throw names and associated context information at me and
get back a ranked list of candidate identities.

You can find more information about the Reconciliation Service API at
http://code.google.com/p/google-refine/wiki/ReconciliationServiceApi.

I hope to have something working by the end of next week.  (At least
that's what I told my boss!)

Ralph