It's been a while since I looked of the ISO spec (which I still can't believe I had to buy to read) -- but you can certainly infer by looking at legal characters laid out by LC.  In reality -- only a handful of unprintable characters are technically allowed in a MARC record -- but you have to remember that when MARC was created -- it was for block reading -- and generally, early (and current) readers stop on hard breaks.

--TR