Thanks for all the responses so far.  My thoughts are pretty much
summed up by Mike and Nate, although I would suggest that no one is
going out of their way to make these IPs accessible -- rather, they
aren't going out of their way to make them inaccessible.

Luckily, most websites don't make their stats accessible, or else the
problem would be much larger -- anyone could get a list of websites
you have ever visited, using a simple google search, like this (to
pick a hostname at random from that IETF page):
    http://www.google.com/search?q=%22tge1lba9.emirates.net.ae%22

While not all IP addresses are linked to individuals, some are, and I
think this is mainly a privacy problem for those individuals who have
static IPs.

Keith