Graham,

In terms of linking from a catalog record to an author in Wikipedia,
you can also link into Identities using an OpenURL that contains an
OCLC Number and a name. This will get you a cleaner match then using
doing a name search because it uses both the author and the book. I
just haven't changed my code to use that method.

I inquired about how we add links to Wikipedia into Identities and
VIAF. Below is a summary of the answer I got

Once a year OCLC downloads Wikipedia and then we extract as much
information from it as we can. This generally involves reading through
their current information for templates, etc. Then we try to figure
out which pages are people. Within the people pages we look for birth
dates, death dates, work titles, ISBNs, oclc numbers, worldcat
identity links, LCCNs ... anything that we have in VIAF for matching
purposes. Then we build marc-ish records for each of the extracted
person. After that the records go through the normal VIAF matching
processes.

The process gets changed and tweaked each year.

I hope this helps.

Karen