Greetings--

I'm trying to flesh out my synonyms.txt file for a couple of Solr indexes,
and I stumbled across something weird.  I added these lines to synonyms.txt:

co2, carbon dioxide
ch4, methane

The second line worked as expected: I restarted Solr, reindexed, and could
search ch4 and methane as synonyms of each other.

The first line did something weird.  Before the change, I can get results
for both CO2 and for "CARBON DIOXIDE" (just different results).  After the
change, searching CO2 got zero results, as did "CARBON DIOXIDE".  So at
least they're acting like synonyms, right?  But why in the world do they
both stop finding hits?

Pre-change:
  CO2			225 hits
  "CARBON DIOXIDE"	130 hits
  CARBON DIOXIDE	1030 hits

Post-change:
  CO2			0 hits
  "CARBON DIOXIDE"	0 hits
  CARBON DIOXIDE	1030 hits

Also, if I want to be able to search for Greek letters by name (alpha,
beta, etc.), is there a better way than to use synonmyms.txt?

  Δ,δ,delta

TIA

--
Thomas Dowling