1 and 2 probably represent two different geographic levels with the
same name.  There is a township (county subdivision) called
Springfield, which also contains a "city" called Springfield.

If you are planning to generate LCSH placenames, one thing to note is
that LCSH typically uses old-style state abbreviations ("Mass.",
"Pa.") instead of the more common postal abbreviations ("MA", "PA").

I thought there might be some way to use id.loc.gov but for some
reason none of your example LCSHeadings show up in a search for
"springfield" -- maybe place headings are not comprehensively included
in id.loc.gov?

Keith