Quoting Keith Jenkins <[log in to unmask]>:

> I thought there might be some way to use id.loc.gov but for some
> reason none of your example LCSHeadings show up in a search for
> "springfield" -- maybe place headings are not comprehensively included
> in id.loc.gov?

id.loc.gov right now only has "subject-only" headings. Geographic
names are in the "names" authority file, along with persons and
corporate bodies. authorities.loc.gov has them all.

VIAF.org has the geographic names along with the personal and
corporate, although oddly you can limit your search in VIAF to
personal or corporate but not to geographic.

At one point LC announced that they would be adding the names
authorities to id.loc.gov, but then reversed that and said that VIAF
is / will be the source for LC names. I'm not sure it makes sense to
separate the two authority files since most names can also be
subjects. Perhaps LC hasn't really decided what to do.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net