I like this.  Maybe it's because it's what I was already thinking about doing.  I have 3 project ideas twirling around in my head at the moment.  I can't do them at work, but perhaps the systems department could give me a dataset to play around with in my spare time.  I already have a good dataset for one of the projects that I harvested via OAI-PMH.

Do these spare-time projects get any respect from the "real world" when it comes time to apply for a job? ....particularly if you focus on really making it as polished as possible (within the limitations of a non-work environment)?  I remember building my own darkroom as a teenager and doing B&W and color slide and print processing. (yes, I still love the smell of D76 and stop bath.  I can bring up the smell purely from memory :)  ).  I did manage to work for a while in photography because of my original personal investment of time and energy into it as a hobby.  I'm just concerned that the things may not work that way any more.  Life was not only slower paced back then, but having an exact skill match wasn't required to get a foot in the door.   Plus, I'm no Mozart so it's not likely that I'll come up with something uber creative or so nifty that it's used by a community at large.  But I do good technical work.  I tinker...I make things "go".

Thanks for the advice.  I'm going to start playing with the projects I have in mind.  One is already done as a JSP, but I think I'll convert it to something else and "clean up" the compromises I had to make to get it done in a limited time.

Ceci

  >>> On 5/6/2011 at 2:31 PM, in message <[log in to unmask]>, Devon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

My answer to this question changes every time it gets asked.

These days, my thinking is that focusing on skills/tools is backwards.
Instead, focus on a problems and solutions. Pick something you want to
do, then do it. Figure it all out on the way. If you don't know where
to start, build and deploy a simple website. Try a solution. If it
doesn't work, try a different solution. Keep trying. Don't be afraid
to toss all your work away and start over. Make the website more
complex as you go. Add a database. Switch the whole thing to jQuery.
Then switch to something else. Just keep going.

/dev

--
Devon Smith
Consulting Software Engineer