While we don't use it for precisely this scenario, it would be pretty simple
to implement.  We use Cascade from Hannon Hill.  It was the tool that best
fit our model of web site management (aka complete chaos).  I was involved
in selecting Cascade, so if you want to know more about that just hit me up
off-list.

The "wins":
Publishes static files, so the CMS isn't the web server
LDAP Auth
Template system allowing for easy site creation while still maintaining
control over the page structure.
Multiple publishing targets (pushes over SFTP)

The "fails":
It doesn't magically update your content based on what you're thinking that
day.