We are using Confluence here, campus-wide -- not just for the
libraries.  The campus installation has over 200 spaces (projects),
some of which are public, some private.  You can also have private
pages within a public space, and vice versa.  You can change
permissions on any page, and pages inherit permissions by hierarchy,
so it is pretty easy to set up a private section of a public space,
etc.

However, there were some issues I encountered a while back, when
trying to move a private page into the public part of the page
hierarchy: it was telling me that the page had no restrictions, but
apparently no one else could see it.  This problem may have been fixed
in our recent upgrade, although I've just gotten used to the
workaround we found (adding another restriction and then removing it).

Keith