I think Jeremy brings up some good points here about libraries
(especially academic ones) becoming provisioning organizations versus
collection building ones. In regards to journals, in a number of ways
libraries already are. Libraries send checks to Ebsco, Elserver,
ProQuest. etc. and out patrons get access. I wouldn't be surprised if
this happens with books as well, although I don't think it will happen
as quickly as some of the pundits say. There is a danger in this for
librarians of course, if that is all libraries provided. The School of
Science, for example, doesn't really need a librarian to pay for
ScienceDirect - they just need a purchase order. One might argue that
faculty don't have the time or knowledge to evaluate the databases,
but I am not sure this is true, and even if it is, a single librarian
can do this for a large state-wide system or consortia. Therefore, for
librarians (and libraries) to survive and even flourish we do need to
look at ourselves through a different lenses as Jeremy suggests.

From a content standpoint, I interpret a lot of what has been in this
thread as referring to content under the bell curve. I think those
more general materials will become less and less local as in some ways
databases of articles have already done with journals. This is a an
over-simplification, but I think in this scenario what ends up being
the role of the library, then, is the long tail of collections. In the
case of journals, I see this happening now with some foreign and
small-press journals that are not available in electronic form. In the
broader sense, I think what will become more important is local
content, archives, and special collections.

Of course, libraries are not just about collections and there are many
other ways that librarians can improve access to resources (local or
not) and other information services to our patrons. I am not sure the
under-lying mission or purpose of libraries needing to change, but I
do think the tools and methods will need to continue to evolve.

Edward