PDFBox (and hence Tika) get worse the more recent a version of the PDF
format you use.  One fun trick they can do is get a tad confused and think
there are control characters in extracted metadata fields. Great fun when
those characters are then inserted into an XML CMIS response.  (Why do I
seem to do most of my debugging with wireshark?)

Usually they're not that ill behaved, but PDFBox really needs to be run out
of head.

There's always http://open.xerox.com/Services/PDF-to-XML (which is from Euro
Xerox, and which is also xpdf based).

Source forge project page at http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdf2xml/

One option for licensed software is Adobe's PDF Library SDK
<http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/library.html>which may  be available at an
educational discount.

Another option is to use the  ABBYY FineReader
SDK<http://www.abbyy.com/ocr_sdk_linux/overview/>.
Annoyingly, the linux version is one release behind the windows SDK (which
has improved support for multi core processing of single document).  Since
Owen's problem  is embarrassingly parallel, multi-core tuning isn't as
useful as being able to run on a local cluster or regional grid.   ABBYY
software tends to be a little pricey, but the results are usually very good.

ABBYY's OCR code seems to be a bit better than Adobe's if you're dealing
with non-searchable PDFs.

Kofax probably has a really good product in this space, but I expect the
academic discount brings the price down to only half your first-born child.

BTW, has anybody ever tried using something like MRBAYES to see how well it
can create phylogeny trees for multiple versions of documents?

 Or would that distract from compute time needed to process lamprey
#960,345? [someone ought to produce graphs showing projected future storage
needs  with and without  short-read  lamprey fragments.

Simon