On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 2:51 PM, Jonathan Rochkind <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> On 6/2/2011 2:25 PM, Rod McFarland wrote:
>

>> If Omeka had a desktop client I would fight to have it replace CDM here,
>> but I don't think CDM would go away even if we brought in Omeka.
>>

> Just curious why you prefer a desktop client to a web client. Do you find
> Omeka's web client to be not a good user experience, or do you for some
> reason just always require a desktop client no matter how good a web client
> is?

There may be some specific functionality that's easier to use with
Projectile Client.

I'm not sure, but it might be the case that the only way to use the OCR
module is via the windows client.  OCLC uses ABBYY Fine Reader for OCR
conversion, and they may not have wanted to make that feature available on
the server side for licensing reasons.

Most document scanners come bundled with some kind of OCR software - for
example,  Fujitsu bundles a version of  FineReader with it's affordable
document scanners (e.g. S1500).  At a certain price point they switch to
bundling Kofax.  If the need for the desktop client is based on the need for
OCR, then that may already have been handled.

It would be nice to add CMIS support to Omeka, which would then let  CMIS
compliant clients  use Omeka as a back end.  The PHP CMIS libraries that I'm
aware of (e.g. Apache Chemistry) are client, not server, but it's mostly
RESTy Atom, so it's not too awful (as long as you ignore the stupid bits).

Simon