I would just like to confirm from years of practical experience that Jonathan is right - this is hard technically. Not in principle, but the devil is in the details and they are all different, and often change. The very neat addition to the JHU catalog that Eric reported on that started this thread (https://catalyst.library.jhu.edu/catalog/bib_816990) is an example of what we call secondary searching and/or enrichment.

And it is available - in our commercial software (not a plug - we don't sell it, just noting that it is not the sort of thing to try yourself on any scale - it takes a lot of resources). Our software is incorporated in the offerings of a number of the ILS and content vendors. Admittedly almost exclusively for federated searching, but the problems are the same. And Jonathan enumerates them pretty well below. So, to answer Karen's question, it can be done if the ILS vendors make the functionality available, and the libraries configure it.

Peter