I think that's quite possible.

Here are a couple references I am familiar with.

Walker/Janes/Tenopir's Online Retrieval is a bit dated but it does discuss
the subject of precision and recall in bibliographic database searching.
http://books.google.com/books?id=Srn3Jg7O4XoC&lpg=PP1&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Beyond bibliographic databases, Baeza-Yates/Riberio-Neto's discusses the
subject in a broader context.
http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Information-Retrieval-Concepts-Technology/dp/0321416910

-marijane