On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Ralph LeVan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Where at all possible, I want a true REST interface.  I recognize that
> sometimes you need to use POST to send data, but I've found it very helpful
> to be able to craft URLs that can be shared that contain a complete
> request.

As a minor clarification: if all of the parameters are of  types can be put
in the URL, most form processing libraries used with most HTTP servers will
take care of the difference between url and form encoded arguments, and make
them available via the same API calls.

It is not out of the question to encode all the parameters needed for some
updates in the URL; however, if the operation is intended* to change state
then the HTTP GET/HEAD/etc. methods  should not be used, as described in the
 HTTP specifications (that's why web browsers have to ask if you want to
repost a form when going back over a POST request, and why spiders should
only use HEAD/GET type methods.

Also, REST apis can include POST style updates (indeed, should not perform
updates on GET requests over HTTP).

Simon