On Jul 19, 2011, at 11:03 AM, Joe Hourcle wrote:

> On Jul 19, 2011, at 10:34 AM, Stern, Randall wrote:
>
>> Also, see FITS (http://code.google.com/p/fits/)
>>
>> FITS is an open source java toolset we wrote that wraps JHOVE, ExifTool,
>> and several other format analysis tools and produces a single XML output
>> stream. It also includes a crosswalk to MIX XML as an optional output.
>
> Really?  You named a tool that deals with image data 'FITS' ?
>
> You do realize there's actually a 30+ year old image standard called FITS:
>
> 	http://fits.gsfc.nasa.gov/
>
> (which has its own metadata standard, just to make things even more
> interesting)

This appears to the a known issue in their tracker: http://code.google.com/p/fits/issues/detail?id=10. Medium priority.

Also it's worth comparing the FITS' output to the output of "exiftool -X". IIRC FITS uses a low level of verbosity with their FITS integration, though this may not be noticeable with some formats.

Dave Rice
avpreserve.com