Tim-

As someone who learned to program by myself, I found taking a similar class very helpful (my circumstances sound the same as yours, except in my case the language was Java).  It gave me a good foundation to learn new languages, new technologies, etc.  The general approach and concepts will be transferable across languages, though of course the syntax and such will vary quite a bit.

-Esme
--
Esme Cowles <[log in to unmask]>

"Information wants to be anthropomorphized." -- /. sig