Bill,

You would need three minimum components to get the job done. An asset management server for managing media and publishing,
a streaming server, and a web front end. Here are some to look into:

STREAMING SERVERS

Wowza Streaming Server
http://www.wowzamedia.com/

mod_h264
http://h264.code-shop.com/trac

Red5
http://www.red5.org/

Mammoth
http://mammothserver.org/

Darwin Streaming Server (Quicktime)
http://dss.macosforge.org/

WEB FRONT END

MediaCore CMS
http://mediacore.com/

ASSET MANAGEMENT/MEDIA DEPLOYMENT

Final Cut Server<http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=final+cut+server&aq=f> for a review/approval worflow and publishing video to your streaming serve if you can get your hands on it, along with Transmogrifier http://transmogrifier.sourceforge.net for enhanced publishing workflows

Another option is  TACTIC: http://www.southpawtech.com which I haven't used but you can attach scripts which can be used to publish files

For the video format/codec I would recommend H264 delivered via HTTP Adaptive Streaming. This will allow mobile streaming to smart phones and tablets and you could always wrap H264 video in Flash if necessary (FlowPlayer/JWPlayer) for the desktop. You could use Flash on the desktop to protect the stream or a token based authentication mechanism along with user based access controls.

To handle a large amount of users or concurrent streams you would need to implement a load balancing server calls the video from the streaming server with the least load.
A cache server wouldn't be a bad idea either for popular videos. Another option is to use a CDN like AmazonS3 or Akamai on a case by case scenario. Say you are streaming a specific event and expect a heavy number of views for example.

Hope this helps!

Juan Madrigal

Web Developer
Web and Emerging Technologies