Dear NDSA Members,
Celebrating some of the work that the NDSA working groups have been doing and the progress made at the recent NDIIPP/NDSA Partners meeting, I'll be sending out an update about each of the groups.

If you are interested in joining the work of the Content Working Group, contact Cathy or Abbie or join the content listserv at:

http://list.digitalpreservation.gov/SCRIPTS/WA-DIGITAL.EXE?SUBED1=NDSA-CONTENT

Content
Co-chairs: Cathy Hartman ([log in to unmask]) and Abbie Grotke ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)

The Content Working Group has been meeting monthly since the NDSA's beginning. We currently have 54 members and are focusing our work in two distinct "Action Teams":

Registry Action Team (Group A) is focusing on the development of a NDSA registry of content already preserved by NDSA members. We began by surveying the field of existing registries to see if there was one that we could simply contribute too, and surveyed the NDSA_All listserv to see who participated in the registries that had been identified; there was no clear front-runner that had what we wanted/needed, so the decision was made to build an NDSA registry. After looking more closely at the Recollection tool, which serves up the NDIIPP partner list on digitalpreservation.gov, Group A decided to use Recollection to help build the NDSA registry. The Action Team is now reviewing a list of fields that would be used and plans to distribute this for feedback to the NDSA_All list to be sure it works for all members. Next steps will be to set up the registry and determine workflow for entering/importing data.

The ClearingHouse Action Team (Group B) is tasked with developing a clearinghouse that will enable a variety of stakeholders to determine what types of content or collections are at risk, identify at-risk content or collections for preservation, and match orphan collections with trusted partners for access and preservation. The work to-date has focused on development of a list of types of content that are at risk. A draft version is available and will be the focus of the CWG workshop on Wednesday, where it will be vetted with other members and workshop attendees to ensure that it is the right list (should anything be added or removed from the list?) and how we might move forward with these categories in terms of identifying ways to preserve this content. Examples of at-risk content will be shown to help illustrate some of the issues and concerns.

Best regards,

Michelle