Dear NDSA Members,

If you are interested in joining the work of the Infrastructure Working Group, contact Karen or Trevor or join the content listserv at:

http://list.digitalpreservation.gov/SCRIPTS/WA-DIGITAL.EXE?SUBED1=NDSA-INFRASTRUCTURE

The Infrastructure Working Group has been very active this year. Please see the update on their work below.

Infrastructure
The Infrastructure working group has met via phone calls at least once a month since Dec.  There are approximately 10 people on each phone call, give or take a couple, and generally it is a consistent group of 5-6 of the same people and at least 4-5 of those being 'active and participatory'.  There are meeting notes posted on the working group wiki for almost all the phone calls.  It became clear that the action groups were not going to work, and we decided to tackle the WG goals as a whole group.  After the first 2 conference calls, the group quickly decided to tackle the topic of cloud storage solutions first.  The group wanted to have 'expert' presentation phone calls to gather info about cloud storage solutions.  We had 3 phone calls in Feb for the cloud storage presentations.  Those presentations are also posted on the wiki.  There were 3 others we would like to speak to, but are having a hard time making contact with the organizations.  The group developed a list of questions to pose each cloud storage vendor.  We attempted to build a chart comparing the cloud storage features each solution offered, but this work faltered a bit.  It was hard to 1) compare apples to oranges among the solutions and 2) get participation from the working group to resolve the issues.  The questions kept evolving as the presentations were given and we didn't seem to be gathering consistent information.

The group took a step back and developed questions (refining the ones for the vendors) for the working group members to answer about digital preservation storage solutions that we were using.  The idea is that the members of the working group have useful information that could be shared.  Nine working group members responded to the questions.  We have since combined the answers into a working document on google docs and plan to present the draft document in a workshop at the NDSA meeting.  We hope to get further feedback on the document from the larger community of the NDSA/NDIIPP to add information and help shape it.  A working group call is planned for the week after the meeting where we will share the workshop feedback and discuss plans to move forward.

Best regards,

Michelle