An option to consider is using the Internet Archive's Book Reader:
http://openlibrary.org/dev/docs/bookreader
http://raj.blog.archive.org/2011/03/17/how-to-serve-ia-style-books-from-your-own-cluster/

You can use it locally with your own images - JPEG 2000, JPEG, TIFF and PNG
are supported formats.  You would probably need to extract the images from
the PDFs if you don't have these already.  You could use something like
ImageMagick to do this.

David Nind

--
David Nind