Sorry for the plug, but we're working on a project ("Suma") at NCSU
Libraries that is basically a set of tools for collecting, storing, and
analyzing data about the usage of physical spaces. The current client is
web-based and designed for tablet use. We're using it for library
headcounts now, and we're about to launch a trial as a possible
replacement for paper-based reference transaction logs.

http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/dli/projects/spaceassesstool/

We are still pretty early in the development timeline, but we're going
to release some code in the next month or so and will be attempting some
active external testing later in the fall. It is an open-source project,
but a reasonably full set of features may not be ready until early 2012.
Right now, we're collecting and storing data quite reliably, but not
retrieving or analyzing it.

Jason