This is great feedback, Lori.  Based on this and other feedback that I've gotten, I'm going to remove this functionality from the specifications.  The gist of what I heard was that the added complexity was not worth the benefit -- particularly for large systems like ILSs and when it is difficult to precisely nail down the definition of a feature/characteristic.  (Yeah, they were the same thing; I couldn't think of the word "feature" as I was building the diagram.)

A suggestion I heard instead was to create a "Feature" URL that each package can populate on its page (http://dltj.org/temporary/registry-mockups/package.html for example) that points to the community's list of features.  This is actually more in keeping with the underlying philosophy of the registry -- pointers to an open source community's resources rather than trying to form and sustain a community at the registry itself.

As envisioned, maintainers of a package would keep information up-to-date.  Technically, changes to any data in the registry would be open to anyone who registers for an account (with appropriate controls for spam).

Thanks for the discussion, and please keep the comments coming…

Peter

--
Peter Murray         [log in to unmask]        tel:+1-678-235-2955
Ass't Director, Technology Services Development   http://dltj.org/about/