On Aug 1, 2011, at 4:22 PM, Peter Murray wrote:

> As part of the Mellon Foundation grant funding the start-up of LYRASIS Technology Services, LTS is to produce a series of tools that enable libraries to decide whether open source is right for their environments.  I’ve put a page up on the Code4Lib wiki describing the kinds of tools that will initially fall into this area.  After review by the LTS Advisory Panel and comments from the community, statements of work will be drafted for consultants to create these tools and the work will be let out for contract. The completed tools will be turned into web documents in the form of whitepapers, checklists, spreadsheets, etc., and published along with the open source software registry now under development. To encourage consultants to share their knowledge, we are considering allowing consultants to identify themselves in the text of the document (e.g. “Prepared for LYRASIS with funding from the 2011-2012 Mellon Foundation! Open Source Support Grant by name of consultant.”)
>
> With this background in mind, answers to these questions would be helpful:
>
>   • Based on your experience and/or knowledge of open source software adoption, are there other tools or techniques that would be useful to document and make available?

Peter, if I understand you correctly, your approach seems novel. Usually open source software developers have "scratched their itch", made their software available to the world, and if so inclined, spent time and effort building a community around the software. Your approach seems RFP-like. Statements of work will be drafted by LTS. Developers (consultants) will respond, be selected, and contracted. Software will be created.

--
Eric Lease Morgan