***Please excuse cross-posting***

DC-2011 Pre-conference Tutorials
TUTORIAL ABSTRACTS:
http://dcevents.dublincore.org/index.php/IntConf/index/pages/view/tutorials-2011
DATE: 21 September 2011
TIME: 9:00 - 17:00
PLACE: National Library of the Netherlands, The Hague
REGISTRATION:
http://dcevents.dublincore.org/index.php/IntConf/index/pages/view/registration-2011
   [Registration is available for this special day-long session only or for
the full conference]

We are writing to invite you to participate in Dublin Core tutorials planned
for DC-2011 at The Hague. Registration for the pre-conference includes all
four tutorials.  The topics of the tutorials range from an introduction to
Dublin Core through migration of an XML/HTML encoded Dublin Core metadata
application to a linked data version. The following four tutorials are
programmed:

TUTORIAL TITLE: An Introduction to Dublin Core
PRESENTER: Stephanie Taylor
ABSTRACT: This tutorial will provide a basic introduction to the Dublin Core
(DC) metadata set, starting with a brief overview of how and why DC began
and how it has developed to the present day. Simple DC and Qualified DC will
be explained, with practical examples of real-life usage to illustrate the
application of DC in different working environments. The tutorial will have
a 'hands on' approach, giving participants an opportunity to explore the
elements through group work and to use both Simple and Qualified DC to
describe objects.

TUTORIAL TITLE: Even More Dublin Core
PRESENTER: Emma Tonkin
ABSTRACT: Dublin Core, like many things in life, is many things to many
people. This tutorial starts by taking a quick tour through the conceptual
landscape of the DCMI. We then move on to practical exploration,
demonstrating the role of Dublin Core as a helpful Swiss Army knife in a
well-stocked metadata toolbox. Using the vocabularies, schemas, concepts and
processes behind Dublin Core—such as the Singapore Framework, we work
through practical examples of: describing a set of resources; developing an
application profile for a given purpose; building metadata records on the
basis of a newly constructed application profile; and marking up web-based
data with microformats. Finally, the tutorial takes a look at how Dublin
Core fits in with the world of Linked Data.

TUTORIAL TITLE: SKOS (Simple Knowledge Organization System)
PRESENTER: Antoine Isaac
ABSTRACT: SKOS is a data model to represent and network knowledge
organization systems (thesauri, classification systems, etc) in RDF. SKOS is
meant to be as easy of use as possible, fitting existing practices while
keeping general enough to fit a high number of use cases and KOS
configurations. In this tutorial, an introduction to the various features of
SKOS will be given, illustrating how they can be used to represent existing
KOS data. The tutorial will present how the vision of leveraging existing
KOS on the web of data is being adopted in a number of projects, in the
Cultural Heritage sector and beyond. Available tooling and methods for
creating and publishing SKOS as well as porting legacy KOS data to SKOS will
also be discussed.

TUTORIAL TITLE: From Dublin Core to Linked Data
PRESENTER: Paul Hermans
ABSTRACT: In this tutorial we will learn in a concrete way how to migrate an
XML/HTML encoded Dublin Core metadata application to a linked data version
hereof. We cover all the needed steps to:
define the identifiers (URI's) of the resources choose the right models,
vocabularies generate links to different datasets convert to the needed
representations (RDF/XML, turtle, HTML) and publish the data as
dereferenceable linked data. We will also address also some FAQ's: reusing
vocabularies or building your own, SKOS (concepts) or OWL (classes), how to
model temporal constraints, how to apply closed world constraints. In
closing, we give an overview of the tools and technologies which can be
used.

We very much hope some or all of you may be able to attend what we expect to
be a very useful event.

Cordially,

Muriel Foulonneau, Henri Tudor Research Centre
Seth van Hooland, Université Libre de Bruxelles